Final Glycerin and Brass Material Study. I cut the brass tubing into 6 inch pieces using the bandsaw and I melted glycerin into foam core molds. Once the glycerin cooled and hardened, I carefully removed the foam core and pierced the glycerin with the brass tubing. The hardest part of this material exploration was making the molds water tight. If the molds were not water tight, the liquid glycerin would seep through. Glycerin is a easy material to use which gives it lots of flexibility to work with. Even cooled, it was still fairly soft which allowed me to puncture it with the brass. My next attempt would focus on creating intersecting and diagonal patterns with the brass tubing.
First attempted material study with jello and plastic straws (Left). Second material study with glycerin and brass tubes (Right). Jello was a surprisingly difficult material to work with. I made several practice pieces in order to understand how the material behaved. Even so, there is still much to explore with jello. It was a fun and quick material study!
Transverse and Longitudinal Final Sections (1:1). Creating this section altered my perception of scale.The glycerin polygons could be building masses and the brass tubing could be circulation walkways.
Fern’s Block Using Jello, Balloons, and Straws.
Fern’s Final Sections (1:1).
Link to Instructables:
Jello and Plastic Straws: http://www.instructables.com/id/Why-Jello-There/
Glycerin and Brass: http://www.instructables.com/id/Glycerin-and-Brass-Material-Study/